Last Saturday was Free Comic Book Day and with it brought the end for our very first Future Fan Project.
For anyone just reading about this now, the Future Fan Project was a pilot we ran across two cities for people to donate old comics to the Pyjama Foundation run literacy programmes for underprivileged kids. The goal was to help create the next generation of comic book lovers.
And we have to say, it was a HUGE success! While we limited the number of partners we had there was still over 4,000 comics (both Comic Books and Manga) donated in Brisbane and Melbourne!
These books will be used by the Pyjama Foundation with teaching kids to read from a young age all the way up to teens who just need a little help and the right sort of encouragement.
Huge shoutout to our Partners who made this possible including:
- Ace Comics and Games in Brisbane (big shoutout to Aaron who is involved with their swap meet for a huge donation)
- Comics’R’Us in Melbourne who collected multiple boxes of donations across both their stores
- The new Comic Empire in Brisbane’s Stones Corner who were able to support tremendously since they opened their doors last month
- Secret ID Comics in the Brisbane CBD who promoted this through their social media and were supported by their customers and fans with a heap of donations
- And Zombster who received donations that total probably about 20kgs worth of Manga! (That’s a lot of Manga)
We have to say thanks to not only these stores but to you who supported this project and got behind to help out this charity to create new comic fans who will love them as much as you do!
The Future Fan Project will be back in 2018 to do this again! We will be working on some of the more logistical issues we had that limited how many cities we could really do this with and hopefully be able to ensure that this is something we can do Australia-wide.
In the meantime, we would love for you to encourage your favourite comic book store to get on board for next years countdown to Free Comic Book Day. Get them to drop us a mail or hook up via social media!
Thanks again to everyone involved and what a great result for the first ever comic donation drive on this scale for Australia!
Visit the Pyjama Foundation website if you want to learn more about what they do or even to drop them a donation directly.