We got our hands on some insider info on the plot for the next Avengers movie as well as some confirmed casting information.
We don’t spoil this for anyone but if you like going into movies cold maybe turn off the internet until May, 2018. For everyone else, get on the Spoiler Bus as we head to downtown Spoilerburg.
Who is in?
IMDB gives a larger list (that includes rumoured and people we saw on set including Spider-Man Tom Holland) but working off the official release that includes character names:
- Josh Brolin as Thanos
- Chris Hemsworth as Thor
- Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow
- Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye
- Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America
- Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet Witch
- Paul Bettany as Vision
- Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner / The Hulk
- Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man
- Chadwick Boseman as T’Challa / Black Panther
- Paul Rudd as Scott Lang / Ant-Man
- Chris Pratt as Star Lord / Peter Quill
- Zoe Saldana as Gamora
- Bradley Cooper as Rocket
- Vin Diesel as Groot
- Dave Bautista as Drax
- Karen Gillan as Nebula
- Pom Klementieff as Mantis
- Michael Rooker as Yondu (per Marvel Casting Calls for a stand-in) – UPDATE: GotG2 writer/director has stated on twitter this was a ruse to support not spoiling the ending of GotG2(?)
- Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury
- Sebastian Stan as Bucky
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Stephen Strange
- Benedict Wong as Wong
- Brie Larson as Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel
What’s it about?
We have managed to grab an official plot summary as part of the open casting call.
The universe faced with doom when archvillain Thanos the Mad Titan, in love with/obsessed with the (female) physical incarnation of Death, assembles all six “Infinity Gems,” granting him godlike power over the universe. Believing she’ll reciprocate his feelings if he delivers enough souls to her, his plan is to kill half of all living things.
Where is it set?
So far we have seen some green screen shooting in Atlanta that we are expecting to be used for space with the Guardians. Also, we now know about the casting call for the streets of New York.
Where are the Infinity Stones?
There are 6 stones to be fit into the Infinity Gauntlet. While in the comics the Gauntlet appears when someone has enough stones in the MCU Thanos already has the Gauntlet.
The stones current locations are:
- Blue / Space Stone – Asgard (in The Avengers)
- Red / Reality Stone – With the Collector (in Thor the Dark World)
- Green / Time Stone – Kamar-Taj (in Doctor Strange)
- Purple / Power Stone – With the Nova Corps (in Guardians of the Galaxy)
- Yellow / Mind Stone – Vision’s Head (in Age of Ultron)
- Soul Stone – ???
Other Stuff we know:
We did hear the Captain Marvel Easter Egg in Doctor Strange (woman with an implant to control schizophrenia) and the Captain Marvel Movie is scheduled after Infinity Wars so this may be in part an origin for that character.
Director James Gunn has said in an interview with Collider this week that the Guardians are in Infinity War with “not the biggest, but, an integral part“. Perhaps warning the Avengers about Thanos?
Lastly that Chris Evans’ MCU contract is up with Infinity Wars and that Bucky, who was last seen in a Wakandan freezer at the end of Civil War, is listed in the filming credits for Infinity War. Maybe this will follow the comics with Bucky becoming Captain America as has been stated more than once by Sebastian Stan in interviews.
Marvel also released a full featurette on the making a few weeks ago with some concept art which is spoiler’y. For those who missed it on our front page playlist here it is:
When is it coming out?
Avengers Infinity War Part One and Two are scheduled for international release first week of May 2018 and 2019.
That’s it, that is all we can confirm at this time. How did we do? We will try and update this with any future updates but feel free to wildly speculate about Howard the Duck’s role in all of this or if Thanos will be beaten by the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl in the comments below.